This Awesome Tuna Casserole is one dish we have once every couple of weeks. It’s a great, comforting casserole with a mouthwatering, creamy & cheesy mushroom sauce, pasta, white albacore tuna and sweet peas. 8 ingredients of tasty!
I’ve been making this for years and we never get tired of it. If you were wondering, does it use Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup? Yup, it’s one of our staples. We love it use it because it’s super easy and convenient.
Once this dish is prepared, you can decide if you want to eat it right out of the pan or bake it in the oven to officially call it a casserole. At least get a bite full before it goes into the oven for taste testing purposes! You may want to add some extra pepper or garlic powder!
Our cream of mushroom soup options.
For the healthier version, use the fat-free or “healthy request” cream of mushroom soup instead of regular cream of mushroom soup. There are other copycat versions out there as well, depending where you shop.
Use your choice of milk.
We prefer to use unsweetened almond milk for just about everything and you can find it at 30 calories a cup, if anyone cares? I’m one of those that drink this, but eat oreos on the side. I’ve accepted my downfalls.
Choose fat-free cheese or low-fat sharp cheddar cheese for regular full fat.
We do not use a lot of cheese in this, although you are more than welcome to add more. We just wanted the taste of cheese without all the calories.
Make sure you use a cheese that melts. Cheeses with more moisture are best.
As far as the pasta?
I prefer to use rotini, elbow or penne and if I use noodles, I like the fluffy, wide noodles because of the pasta textures. This is a classic for sure and if you’re a 2 person family that wants seconds or 3rds, halve the recipe for an 8×8 sized pan.
Peas need to fresh or frozen.
Don’t use the mushy peas in the can. Throw them in frozen, they’ll thaw out as you mix everything all together.
This meal bakes in a 9×13 if you choose to bake and ready on the stovetop in less than 20 minutes and an extra 20 if you’re going for casserole style. This easily feeds a large family and probably have leftovers for another meal depending on who’s dipping into it! Around here, it’s possible.
Optional, but we think it’s necessary! Durkee Fried Onions…Yea!
Recently we’ve been adding the Durkee Fried Onions on top to let them crisp up on the casserole in the oven. Certainly delicious and worth a try!
Awesome Tuna Casserole | Simple & Quick Family Favorite
- 1 box pasta of choice 16 oz or 2 cups - could use gluten-free pasta
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 can white albacore or light tuna 12 oz drained
- Family Size 22.6 oz Campbell's Condensed Soup, Cream of Mushroom or 2 10.5 oz cans, also "healthy request", fat-free option available
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk or milk of choice add a little more if you want a creamier version
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese 1/2 for mixture inside and on top of casserole, use fat-free or low-fat for other cheese option choices.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional: Sprinkle Fried Onion Chips on top Durkee is the brand we use.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Boil pasta al dente according to package directions in large pan. Drain pasta and place back into large pan. Add in the soup, milk, 1/2 of the cheese, tuna, onion powder and garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Add more milk if needed.
- Spread into a 9x13 casserole dish and top with remainder of cheese and top with fried onion rings if desired. It's really yummy twist!
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until bubbly.