This easy, throw-together Country Sweet Pea Salad is one of those salads perfect for a delicious summer bbq side, potlucks and carry-ins. It tastes so good with the frozen sweet garden peas, chopped hard-boiled eggs and chunks of sharp cheddar cheese all coated in a tangy mayo dressing.
I have made a meal out of this before, because it tastes so good. Salads are especially good when they’ve stood the test of time and this salad definitely has. It usually appears at a potluck or a reunion for sure.
It can be made with fresh, frozen peas, thawed before using, or you can use canned peas, drained. But honestly, canned peas are kind of gross and always reminds me of school lunches and when my mom and grandma also used to serve them to us kids, back in the day. Blah!
So, I recommend using it with the frozen tiny peas, baby peas or as they are generally called sweet peas, They taste really good and contain more sugar that regular frozen peas.
Ok, I’d like to mention, you can add in some chopped onion, crispy bacon, chopped celery or substitute the mayo dressing for ranch dressing. You can even do a half-half ratio of mayo and ranch dressing as another option. You can change it up from time to time. We even like to give it a spritz or two of lemon juice to give it an extra fresh flavor.
One of the key things to pea salad is adding enough salt and pepper to really bring out the flavors. It makes a huge difference, just don’t over do it! My husband always over peppers everything and I love pepper, but sometimes it’s way too much. Don’t tell him I told you that. Love you hunnie!
You can’t go wrong with making this Country Sweet Pea Salad. So easy to make and the crowd will love it! For more spectacular salads, try this 20 Minute Caprese Mozzarella Tomato Pasta Salad, this Vegan Southern Potato Salad, and my favorite Veggie Loaded Pasta Salad!
Country Sweet Pea Salad
- 1 bag or 12 oz frozen sweet peas or baby peas. almost thawed but not completely
- 4 to 5 boiled eggs chopped or sliced
- 4 ounces or 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise we used Miracle Whip Olive Oil Mayo but you can use Hellman's
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or milk of choice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Optionals: bacon chopped onion, celery, parsley
- Place peas, chopped egg, cheese and toss together in a large bowl.
- Add in any other add-ins if you choose to, then add in the mayo, vinegar, sour cream/milk, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Taste test and add in more mayo, a splash of lemon or or whatever you need to make it perfect.
- Let the salad chill in the fridge for at least an hour after preparing it. Watch it disappear!