Wake up to the weekends with the heavenly aroma of a stack of tempting, fluffy banana pancakes dotted with melty chocolate chips. Add some slices of ripe bananas on top, buttery syrup and an inviting appetite! You’ll be glad you joined the pancake party.
They are so fluffy, yet moist and deliciously banana flavored. It’s a great way to use up very ripe bananas to add in the pancake batter.
And the banana slices on top and in between if you want, should be bananas that aren’t green anymore or have brown spots. While we’re adding, throw on some more chocolate chips, pecans, walnuts or whipped cream for more textures and flavors!
To get the ‘fluffy’ factor, we are using a tablespoon of baking powder to let the batter activate and get a little bubbly as it rests for 5-10 minutes. Kind of like bread does when you let it rest and double in size.
Then once you start cooking the pancakes they will activate again once they hit the griddle.
Everyone will love these pancakes, especially the kids! To cut back on some sugar, we load them up with sugar-free buttery syrup. But regardless of whatever syrup you use, warmed syrup is the best with some butter of course. 🙂
- 2 cups buttermilk if you don't have buttermilk, use 2 tablespoons vinegar + 2 cups milk - can use non-dairy milk for vegan option
- 1 large or 2 small ripe bananas 1 cup mashed
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly (for vegan option use melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for vegan use pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips add more if you wish, use mini chocolate chips or regular chocolate chips, milk chocolate or semi-sweet
- Additional add-ins: Extra banana for the tops if you want more banana flavor walnuts, pecans, whipped cream
- Add the buttermilk to a large bowl. If you're using the vinegar plus milk option, let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the milk to turn to buttermilk.
- Add mashed banana, eggs, butter, and vanilla into the buttermilk and whisk together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate chips and salt to combine.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just just until incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Let the batter rest for about 5-10 minutes. It should form bubbles and rise up a bit.
- Heat a griddle to 325 degrees or place a large griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Melt a little butter on the cooking surface, spreading it evenly. Using a 1/3 cup measure (or a large cookie or ice cream scoop), pour the batter onto the griddle or into the frying pan. The pancakes are ready to flip when they look a little dry around the edges and start to form little bubbles approximately a minute or so. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown and the cooked through.
- Serve topped with sliced bananas, butter and maple syrup. Additionals: Pecans, walnuts, whipped cream, more chocolate chips
Recipe source: https://www.kitchentreaty.com/fluffy-banana-pancakes/