This sweet potato casserole is one of our favorite holiday recipes. This side dish is one of the the most beloved side dishes consisting of amazing, mashed sweet potatoes baked with the most scrumptious, crispy cinnamon pecan crumble on top! It’s the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table!
Thanksgiving just would not be the same without sweet potatoes at your dinner table and this classic dish is a great way to prepare your sweet potatoes! It will soon become your new annual sweet potato favorite and tradition, if it’s not already! It’s so good you’ll want seconds!
I had it for the first time a couple of years ago and I could not get enough! Almost like dessert! Brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, pecans and sweet potatoes sounds like the best combination ever!
How to Prepare the Sweet Potatoes
You basically prepare your potatoes by either boiling them or baking them until they are tender. I’ve done it both ways, but I prefer the fast method by peeling and cubing the sweet potatoes, then boil them for 15-20 minutes, by piercing them for doneness with a fork.
Mashed Sweet Potato Filling
Once the potatoes are done, drain and mash the potatoes and let them cool down about 10 minutes. Add brown sugar, melted butter, milk, eggs, vanilla, and season with salt and pepper and combine well with mixer. If you don’t have a mixer, use a whisk or the masher to combine.
Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
Crispy Cinnamon Pecan Crumble Topping
For the topping, in a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans together with a fork. Add butter and stir until moistened. Sprinkle mixture evenly over sweet potato mixture in baking dish.
Bake in preheated until heated through, about 40 minutes. The last 10 minutes use foil loosely on top to prevent excessive browning on topping if needed.
Try these Easy Orange Cream Cinnamon Rolls for breakfast and this amazing Best Amish Style Country Dressing and of course to top the meal off, you’ve got to try this Easy No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake to go with your Thanksgiving Feast!!
Holiday Sweet Potato Casserole
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/3 cup milk don't use skim milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour scoop and level to measure
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped or broken pecans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes and place in medium saucepan covered in water. Boil for 15-20 minutes until tender and remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes, then mash potatoes with a potato masher well. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a mixer, blend potatoes with brown sugar, melted butter, milk, egg, vanilla, and season salt and pepper until mixed well.
- Pour into a greased small casserole dish or 9x5 loaf pan and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans using a fork.
- Pour butter into mixture and stir until mixture is evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over sweet potato mixture in baking dish.
- Bake @ 350 degrees until heated through, about 35-40 minutes and if needed, cover loosely with tin foil if top is browning too much.