This amazing Vegan Apple Fritter Cake has the perfect amount of sweetness featuring soft and tender chunks of apples and generous swirls of cinnamon & brown sugar mixed throughout with a simple vanilla glaze drizzled on top. Serve it as a delicious breakfast, snack or dessert.
You may have seen my Awesome Country Apple Fritter Bread on Pinterest and it was also featured on Food Network because it was the Most Popular Apple Recipe on Pinterest back in 2018. So, we took that recipe and veganized it so there are no eggs or dairy included and it tastes just as amazing!
Of course, if you want it not veganized, you can substitute 2 eggs, no problem! We got ya covered! Even Gluten-free flour can also be used, like Red Bob’s or something similar. You’ll find this bread is very versatile with substitutions like the apples with pears, peaches, blueberries or cherries as well.
When picking apples, we prefer Granny Smith apples because they manage to both soften but hold their shape when baked and we love their sweet + tart taste! PLUS, it keeps the bread from getting too cloyingly sweet with all the rest that is going on with the glaze and cinnamon sugar swirls of yumminess. Scrumptious!
Here’s A guide to picking the right apple for the right recipe that is very informative that you might enjoy engaging your brain with. 🙂
As far as storing. I like to serve and store it room temperature or keep it refrigerated for longer storage, and it can even be frozen.
Either way you store it, it’s best served warmed up in the microwave, like the best apple coffee cake heaven ever. OMG! Just pop a piece in the microwave for 15-20 seconds and you’ll see why there was a scream of OMG!
Everyone will think you are an expert baker provided you follow the instructions as written! If you want more quick bread tips, check out these “Secret” Baking Confessions for Quick Breads!
Enjoy this Vegan Apple Fritter Cake! It is wonderful for weekends and especially over holidays for a special treat.
Vegan Apple Fritter Cake
- Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Mixture:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bread Loaf
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax + 6 tbsp WATER allow to sit for 5 minutes or ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- Chopped Apple Mixture
- 2 large apples any kind peeled (or not peeled )and chopped small, but not fine. Then toss apples with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon just before adding it to the bread mixture.
- Old-Fashioned Creme Glaze
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream- depending on thickness of glaze wanted. For more apple fritter style like the apple fritter donut- use more milk for a thinner glaze that you can pour over the whole loaf.
- First, take 2 tbsp Ground Flax + 6 tbsp WATER and allow to sit for 5 minutes or unless using applesauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9x5-inch loaf pan and spray with non-stick spray or line with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.
- Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine & whisk 1 & 1/2 cups flour and 1 & 3/4 teaspoons baking powder together in another bowl and set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup softened butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in 2 flax eggs or applesauce until blended in; add in 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and mix in.
- Add the flour mixture into creamed butter mixture and mix until blended.
- Mix 1/2 cup milk into batter and continue mixing until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the chopped apple mixture with the sugar and cinnamon added in.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture you set aside earlier, on top of apple layer.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining chopped apples, then the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using knife or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 60 minutes.
- To make glaze, mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 to 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk together until well mixed. (Place mixture in microwave for 10 seconds to get it pourable if it needs a boost.)
- Let loaf rest in pan for about 15 minutes before removing from pan to let cool off completely on a cooling rack. Drizzle with glaze.
- If you want more glaze, make a double batch. 🙂
Gregory T SimpsonNovember 7, 2021 at 5:38 pm
How is this recipe vegan if it uses butter